Earlier this week (Mon) we had our 2nd Infant Development Program session (IDP). This time the IDP consultant (C) actually assessed A's progress against a list of developmental milestones. She gave me the choice of which style of milestone list to use. There were three types. Two were quite broad and one was more detailed. I chose the detailed one because it was easy to interpret and very specific. For example one of the milestones is 'holding a toy for a certain period of time'. This detail also gives me ideas on what to work towards between sessions. The danger for me is that I'll get overly anxious if and when she is not meeting a milestone readily. Please, once this happens, send me encouraging messages.
The good news is that for now, she is doing all the things expected for a typical baby her age. The list didn't mention grabbing parents' glasses, but she's quite adept at that.
The IDP consultant says that usually kids with DS fall behind between 6 & 9 months old. The first milestone they are usually late on is getting themselves into a sitting position and sitting unassisted. The best attitude for me is to expect that she'll do it all and just be patient.
Here she is at Farmor and Farfar's place playing coy. More on our visit to Victoria in an upcoming post.
Oh my goodness she is adorable! You have the right attitude to this, well done. Just knowing it will happen helps. I dotn look at milestone charts anymore.
ReplyDeleteWe are 3yrs 6mths not walking but I can see small (ok really small) steps toward the end goal, which for Aden must be running lol. When he holds our hands he forgets about walking and runs for all he can.
I just saw some of your amazing pictures of Aden and others. I can't believe you have time to do such beautiful photos and be a mom of 4. You're an inspiration.
ReplyDelete