Sunday, March 13, 2011

Look who is 6!

Six years ago around this time, I was in my hospital recovery room staring at my newborn son with awe and wonder. Like so many things about him, his birth was long and dramatic lasting from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon. We had tried for a homebirth in our apartment. Things did not progress and we went to the hospital for pain relief and contraction enhancing drugs. That ride to the hospital in big T's '72 Chevy Nova is burned painfully into my memory. So, another 24 hours and T appeared in his strange looking newborn little self. He was very alert, very awake and always very hungry. He changed everything. He birthed a mother. Thanks T for coming to us and being the magic that you are.

As we celebrate this important birthday (all weekend) we are also anxiously watching the news of disaster in Japan. We are praying for the people there and here as we read about the radioactive plume possibly headed our way. I remember long ago reading (when I still had time to read) about the Manhattan Project and how at least one of the participants (maybe Feynman?) realized that with the first 'successful' fission, the world had changed forever. It really feels like the genie is out of the bottle. What kind of world will it be for you and your generation? I feel so helpless to prepare you for this. All I can do is protect you as best I can and try to help you use your powers for good.

3 comments:

  1. Many many Happy Birthday wishes for T!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He birthed a mother" How lovely and true! xooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me, but I googled your name in Vancouver - if you are there, I live on Bute Street in West End and I keep getting mail for you. I've lived here for many years and this just started all of a sudden about 3 years ago and it has carried on since then. Do you know why and could you please fix this, please? I've just left these out for the postman to return, but I believe most have been from Morgan Stanley(having Googled return address in the past). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete